1. Horace knew he'd walked into a .... trap when he opened the door to nothing but a ... silence.
2. By carefully studying the clues, the detective ... that the minister's son was the culprit.
3. Griffin swore up and down that his comment had been meant ____ a compliment.
4. We've noticed that the new horse has a predilection ______ jumping over bales of hay.
5. Martin couldn't tell if Maude was shivering _____ the cold or shivering _____ the thought of walking home alone through the cemetery.
6. Vincent's mastery _____ painting has put him in a league of his own at the conservatory.
7. Which word is used to describe one's negative feelings and antipathy for something?
8. Copyright is available not just for published works but also for works in private use that have not or may never be published.
9. The chef has decided that his lobster bisque will be accompanied ______ a puff pastry for dipping.
10. My parrot _____________ have won the talent contest if I had entered him in time.
11. Annabelle told no one, but her long-time .... , of her intention to join the circus.
12. The astrologer advised Josephine to wear a five-.... ruby set in 24-.... gold.
13. Fred is always willing to help out, and that's something you can bank ____________.
14. Agatha and her daughter argue _____ the neighbors constantly, but none of them seems to realize how silly it is to argue _____ whose grass is greener.
15. Harold buried his ... change in a shoebox so he wouldn't .... it.
16. A sunny day at the beach is certainly preferable ______ a rainy day in town.
17. I must warn you that Mr. Gladstone lost all of my money in bad investments, so I'd be ... of his financial advice if I were you.
18. Walter wears his ... clothes ..., but saves his tuxedo for special occasions.
19. The herd of gazelles successfully .... the wild cheetahs.
20. Not only was Marlon's handwriting practically _____________, but the story was so dull and convoluted that I also found it ____________.
21. Abigail had just reached the .... scene of the play when the theater suddenly went dark.
22. Winning the lottery would mean the world to .....
23. The CEO's decision to step down is based ... his need to take care of personal matters.
24. The article 'an' is normally used before all of the following words except .....
25. Martha has a real .... for writing ballads and odes.
26. Which statement is CORRECT?
27. My supervisor cannot abide .... anyone who comes in late or who doesn't abide ... his rules.
28. The only way Amy will be allowed to stay in that apartment is if she promises not to infringe _____ the house rules ever again.
29. ...., I have enclosed our sales brochure and product information pamphlets.
30. Which list from the options below best represents these words from least negative to most negative?
31. Which similar word is used to refer to a perennial disease of a region or population?
32. Which of the following words means 'separate, unconnected, or distinct'?
33. Due to Alistair's .... nature, our weekend at his home wasn't as .... as we had hoped
34. Which word is a verb meaning 'to change'?
35. The word '.....' refers to something that is immoral, improper, or incorrect, whereas the word '.....' refers to something that is unjust, unfair, or unsanctioned by law.
36. Complete the following three sentences by choosing the correct sequence of words from the options below.
37. Which similar word generally has a negative connotation?
38. Which similar word refers to something that is well-known or momentous in history?
39. When referring to two distinct things, which word means 'the second of the two'?
40. Which word refers to a state of immobility
41. Which similar word expresses a sense of tediousness?
42. Which similar word is used to describe one's negative feelings and antipathy for something?
43. The preferred form for directional words in American English is ......
44. Which option best defines the word 'anxious'?
45. Which similar word expresses a stronger sense of duty?
46. Which words means 'once every two years'?
47. The word '....' means to convey an additional, nuanced meaning of a word, whereas the word '........' specifies the literal meaning of a word or phrase.
48. Correct meaning of the adjective 'noisome.'
49. Option that correctly matches the following similar words to their meanings.
50. Correct meaning of the verb 'condole.'
51. Which word is a verb meaning 'to draw out or bring forth'?
52. Which similar word is more commonly associated with a physical reliance on something?
53. Which word would be most appropriate when referring to a vessel's ability to hold or contain something?
54. You may differ _____ me, but I think this golf course differs _____ our usual course.
55. Which similar prefix generally means 'half'?
56. Sophia managed to ... Igor's crude advances; in a huff, the .... little man .... down the castle wall and scooted off into the underbrush.
57. Which word is often associated with money?
58. Josh is completely enamored ______ that puppy!
59. Which word means 'impartial; not holding any major stake'?
60. Which word means 'to inform or notify'?
61. Of the similar words below, the word '.... ' is most commonly used to express a formal request.
62. Which sentence uses the word 'impact' and/or its variations correctly?
63. Of the following similar words, which implies a movement?
64. Which similar word refers to something that is lush and grows abundantly?
65. The word '____________' refers to an agreement made between two or more parties, whereas the word '____________' refers to conformity, as to someone
66. Which word means 'to excite, arouse, or offend'?
67. The word '____________' refers to feeling satisfied with one's life and not feeling the need to take any action for its betterment. whereas the word means to be easygoing and eager to please.
68. Which similar word is more commonly associated with secretly working together to plot a misdeed?
69. Which word is most commonly used as a verb meaning 'to produce a change in'?
70. Pauline will ..... arrive late so she can make a grand entrance.
71. Which word means 'difficult to comprehend'?
72. Which option best defines the word 'friendly'?
73. Which similar word refers to a strong criticism?
74. We simply cannot decide whether to trade _____ our car for a new model or, as our neighbors suggested, trade it _____ their houseboat.
UK English Grammar
US English Punctuation and Mechanics
US English Sentence Structure
Content Writing Skills
Creative Writing Test (Non-fiction)
Online Article Writing and Blogging
Evaluate your skill level in just 10 minutes with QUIZACK smart test system.
Copyright © 2021 Quizack . © 2021 All rights reserved